The Mausolea and Monuments Trust

MMT News 8, April 2004

The Darnley Mausoleum is Saved

The Cobham Ashenbank Management Scheme (CAMS) is very pleased to announce that a grant of nearly £5 million has been made by the Heritage Lottery Fund to the Cobham Park Heritage Project. The grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund will provide 75 per cent of the project costs, with the remaining 25 per cent coming partly from English Heritage and the Cobham Ashenbank Management Scheme. It is hoped that further funding will come from central government. Phillip Smart, the Project Manager of CAMS, said, "This is such a deserving project...Cobham Park provides something for everyone interested in our heritage." Sophie Raworth, the celebrity supporter of the Darnley Mausoleum from BBC television's RESTORATION series, said "It's fantastic news. I'm so pleased for the team who have worked really hard to save this building. It'll make a huge difference to the area and I'm really looking forward to seeing it again when it's restored to its former glory."

Click here for previous years' newsletters